Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History March 25-31

Posted by on Mar 28, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

March 26, 1832 – A revelation “showing the order given to Enoch and the Church in his day” was given. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 82.) March 30, 1832 – A revelation concerning the rights of women and children in the Church was given through Joseph Smith, jun., at Independence, Mo. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 83.) March 27, 1836 – The Lord’s House, at Kirtland, afterwards known as the Kirtland Temple, was dedicated. “…a noise was heard like the sound of a rushing mighty wind, which filled the Temple, and all the congregation simultaneously arose, being moved upon by an invisible power; many began to speak in tongues and prophesy; others saw glorious visions; and I beheld the Temple was filled with angels…The people of the neighborhood came running together…seeing a bright light like a pillar of fire resting upon the Temple, and were astonished at what was taking place.  This continued until the meeting closed at eleven p.m. March 29, 1836 – On this and the following day the ordinance of the washing of feet was attended to in the Kirtland Temple. March 27, 1898 – Harriet Maria Horsepool Nye is set apart as a missionary.  She is generally believed to be the first full-time sister missionary of the Church. March 27, 1960 – The first stake in Australia is organized at Sydney, and the first stake in England is organized in Manchester. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More

LDS Site of the Week – Liberty Jail

Posted by on Mar 22, 2011 in Site of the Week - LDS Church History Tour | 0 comments

Liberty Jail – This week marks the anniversary of when Joseph Smith, jun., who was imprisoned in Liberty jail, Mo., wrote an excellent epistle of what is now D&C 121-123. Thirteen miles north of the Independence Visitor’s Center, Joseph Smith was a prisoner here from December 1838 until he was allowed to escape in May 1839.  Conditions were harsh and made doubly so for Joseph because of the brutality of the Missouri Militia upon the Saints while he was there.  It was a growing experience for Joseph Smith and some of the greatest sections of the D&C were received there as mentioned above. Alexander W. Doniphan, who courageously represented Joseph Smith as his lawyer here and in Richmond, is buried in the Liberty Cemetery, though he was a native of Richmond.  Those held prisoner at Liberty Jail were: Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Lyman Wight, Caleb Baldwin, Alexander McCrea.  Those held prisoner at Richmond Jail were: Parley P. Pratt, King Follet, Darwin Chase, Norman Shearer, Luman Gibbs, Morris Phelps. For more Missouri Sites – See our Missouri/Nauvoo/Winter Quarter Tour...

Read More

Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History Mar 17-24

Posted by on Mar 22, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

March 18, 1833 – Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams were appointed and set apart by President Joseph Smith to be his Counselors in the Presidency of the Church, according to the revelation given March 8th. On the same occasion “many of the brethren saw a heavenly vision of the Savior and concourses of angels.” (See History of Joseph Smith.) March 20, 1839 – Joseph Smith, jun., who was still imprisoned in Liberty jail, Mo., wrote an excellent epistle “to the Saints at Quincy, Ill., and scattered abroad,” in which was embodied a most fervent prayer in behalf of the suffering Saints, and words of prophecy. (See Doc. and Cov., Sec. 121, and History of Joseph Smith.) March 16, 1840 –  Theodore Turley, a native of England, was jailed in Staffordshire while serving his mission in England.  Turley allegedly still owed money in England due because of financial misdealings by his business partner.  John Jones of Staffordshire, claimed to be one of his long-standing creditors but was also a bitter enemy of the Church.  Jones got a warrant that landed Turley in jail where he stayed for two months. With no funds of his own, he could hardly have survived in jail without the help of the local Saints, who provided him with food and other necessities.  Turley believed that it was fulfillment of a prophecy by Joseph Smith, who as they were leaving Nauvoo, said, “Keep up good courage, boys, some of you will look through the grates before you come back.” March 17, 1842– The organization of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo was commenced. It was completed on the 24th, with Emma Smith as president; Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Whitney and Mrs. Sarah M. Cleveland, counselors; Miss Elvira Cowles, treasurer; and Eliza R. Snow, secretary. March 20, 1842 – The Prophet Joseph Smith baptized 80 people in the Mississippi River near his home, including M.L.D. Wasson, a nephew of Emma Smith, the first of her family to join the Church. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More

LDS Site of the Week – GADFIELD ELM CHAPEL, England

Posted by on Mar 14, 2011 in British Isles - England and Wales Trips, Site of the Week - LDS Church History Tour | 0 comments

The Gadfield Elm Chapel near the village of Pendock in Worcestershire, England, is the oldest extant chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The structure was built in 1836 as a religious meetinghouse by the United Brethren, a group of breakaway Primitive Methodists led by Thomas Knighton. In 1840, Latter Day Saint missionary and apostle Wilford Woodruff preached among the United Brethren; ultimately all but one of the 600 members of the United Brethren were converted to Mormonism. After the conversions, the structure was deeded to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Knighton and John Benbow. As a chapel of the early Latter Day Saint movement, the building was a centre of activity for the church in the Malvern Hills area. The chapel was sold by the church in 1842 to help fund the emigration of British Latter Day Saints to America. The building was privately owned until it was purchased in 1994 by the Gadfield Elm Trust, a group of LDS Church members interested in preserving the chapel. The Trust renovated and restored the chapel, and it was dedicated by LDS Church apostle Jeffrey R. Holland on 23 April 2000. In 2004, the Gadfield Elm Trust donated ownership of the chapel to the LDS Church, and it was rededicated by church president Gordon B. Hinckley on 26 May 2004. The chapel is operated as a historical tourist site by the LDS Church and admission to the public is free. For more information about other amazing British Isles sites, visit our England & Wale’s 400th Bible Commemoration Tour...

Read More

Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History Mar 9-16

Posted by on Mar 14, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

March 14, 1832 – Brigham Young was baptized by Eleazer Miller at Mendon, Monroe Co., N. Y. March 14, 1838 – Joseph the Prophet arrived at Far West, Mo., with his family, accompanied by Apostle Brigham Young and others.  They had been traveling two months to reach the peace of Missouri. March 13, 1850 – Isaac Morley, leader of the Saints in Sanpete County, UT, baptizes Ute Indian Chief Wakara. March 13, 1970 – The Mormon Pavilion at the World’s Fair in Osaka, Japan, is dedicated.  Pres. Hugh B. Brown, of the first Presidency, and Elders Ezra Taft Benson and Gordon B. Hinckley take part in the dedication.  Some 6.65 million people visit the pavilion in the first six months of the fair. March 13, 2005 – The first meetinghouse of the Church in Daviess County, Missouri, was dedicated in Gallatin, Missouri.  In the 1830’s the Church had several settlements in the area, one of which was Adam-ondi-Ahman, before the Saints were driven from the state during the winter of 1838-39. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More