Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History April 21-30

Posted by on Apr 24, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

April 24, 1834 – On this and the following six days the mob burned about one hundred and fifty houses belonging to the Saints in Jackson County, Missouri.

April 26, 1839 – Early in the morning a conference was held on the Temple site at Far West, Mo., in fulfillment of the revelation given July 8, 1838. Among those present were Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, John E. Page and John Taylor, who ordained Wilford Woodruff and George A. Smith Apostles, “to fill the places of those who had fallen.” Alpheus Cutler, the master-workman of the Temple, then commenced laying its foundation, in accordance with revelation, by rolling up a large stone near the southeast corner.

April 21, 1840 – The Postmaster General at Washington, D.C., changed the name of the postoffice at Commerce, Hancock Co., Ill., to Nauvoo, and appointed George W. Robinson postmaster.

April 21, 1841 – Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, Geo. A. Smith and Willard Richards sailed from Liverpool, England, on the ship Rochester, accompanied by 130 Saints. They arrived at New York May 20th.

April 30, 1846 – The Nauvoo Temple was dedicated privately, Elder Joseph Young offering the dedicatory prayer.

April 29, 1852 – The Deseret Iron Company was organized at Liverpool, England, and Erastus Snow and Franklin D. Richards were appointed general agents and managers of the same.

Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church Chronology

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *