Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History April 7-13

Posted by on Apr 15, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

April 7, 1829 – Joseph Smith, jun., resumed the translation of the Book of Mormon, assisted by Oliver Cowdery as scribe, at Harmony.  Oliver Cowdery was called by revelation to assist Joseph Smith, jun., in his labors and stand by him in his difficulties. Oliver was also promised the gift of translating like Joseph, if he desired it. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 6.)

April 7, 1829 -The Lord revealed to Joseph Smith, jun., that John, the beloved Disciple, was given power over death, that he might live and bring souls to Christ and to prophesy before nations, kindreds, tongues and people until the coming of Christ in his glory. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 7.)

April 11, 1830 – Oliver Cowdery preached the first public discourse delivered by any of the Elders in this dispensation. The meeting was held in the house of Peter Whitmer, sen., at Fayette. Hiram Page, Catherine Page, Christian Whitmer, Annie Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer and Elizabeth Whitmer were baptized by Oliver Cowdery, in Seneca lake.

April 7, 1837 – The city plat of Far West, Caldwell County, Mo., having been surveyed, the sale of town lots was left to Wm. W. Phelps, John Whitmer and Edward Partridge. Jacob Whitmer, Elisha H. Groves and Geo. M. Hinkle were appointed a building committee for the erection of a house of the Lord at Far West.

Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church Chronology

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *