Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History June 15-30

Posted by on Jul 1, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

June 26, 1829 – Egbert B. Grandin prints the title page of the Book of Mormon in the Wayne Sentinel, a paper published in Palmyra, NY, as a “curiosity”.

June 26, 1844 – After breakfast, Mr. Stigall, the jailer, moved the Prophet Joseph and those with him to an upstairs bedroom in the Carthage Jail. It was much more comfortable for the men, however, it did not have a lock on the door. The Prophet met with his lawyers and agreed to a request for a change of venue to Quincy, Illinois. Governor Ford arrived mid-morning and Joseph was able to present his side of the events surrounding the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor press and the calling out of the Nauvoo Legion. The Governor again assured them of their safety and stated that if he went to Nauvoo the next day he would take Joseph with him. In the afternoon the men took turns preaching to the guards, several of whom stated that they would not fight against them anymore as they were convinced of their innocence.

About 2:30 pm, Constable Bettisworth arrived at the door and demanded to take custody of the prisoners. The jailer, Mr. Stigall, refused to turn them over with out proper orders, thus protecting the men from the mob. However, the constable returned a short time later with a company of Carthage Greys, the city militia, and by intimidation compelled the jailor to deliver Joseph and Hyrum over to him. The Prophet concluded it was best to go with them, “and putting on his hat, walked boldly into the midst of a hollow square of the Carthage Greys; yet evidently expecting to be massacred in the streets before arriving at the Court House, politely locked arms with the worst mobocrate he could see, and Hyrum locked arms with Joseph, followed by Dr. Richards, and escorted by a guard” (History of the Church, 6:594).

The other men followed them as they walked to the court room. After appearing in court, the men returned to jail. The Prophet’s uncle, John Smith, arrived at the jail to see Joseph. They wouldn’t let him in but Joseph boldly stood up to the guard and his uncle was allowed to come in. He stayed about an hour before leaving. During the evening, Hyrum read and commented on portions of the Book of Mormon. Joseph bore his testimony to the guards and others present of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and his calling to restore the Church to the earth. After going to bed, gunfire caused Joseph to get out of bed and he lay himself on the floor next to Dan Jones and John S. Fullmer. He mentioned several times that he felt he would die, saying, “I would like to see my family again” and “I would to God that I could preach to the Saints in Nauvoo once more.” (History of the Church, 6:601)

After all had fallen to sleep except the Prophet and Dan Jones, the Prophet whispered to him “are you afraid to die?’ Dan said, ‘Has that time come, think you? Engaged in such a cause I do not think that death would have many terrors.’ Joseph replied, ‘You will yet see Wales, and fulfill the mission appointed you before you die.” (History of Church, 6:601)

June 26, 1856 – The Saints that become the Willie handcart company arrive in Iowa City, Iowa, to outfit themselves for their journey to Utah.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *