Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History May 16-24

Posted by on May 16, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

May 19, 1838 – Joseph Smith, jun., Sidney Rigdon and others visited a place on the north side of Grand river (about twenty-five miles north of Far West) called by the Saints Spring Hill, which by revelation was named Adam-ondi-Ahman, because “it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people or the Ancient of Days shall sit, as spoken of by the Prophet Daniel.” (Dan. 7:9-14; Doc. and Cov., Sec. 116.)

May 24, 1845 – President Brigham Young and others who had been secreted for some time, to avoid arrest and persecution by their enemies, appeared at Nauvoo and took part in the laying of the cap stone of the Temple, in the presence of a large number of Saints.

May 23, 1853 – A branch of the Church was organized at Cape Town, Africa.

May 18, 1865 – A company, consisting of nine missionaries, eleven women, eighteen children and six teamsters, left G.S.L. City, bound for the Hawaiian Islands. Geo. Nebeker was appointed captain; the company had ten wagons.

May 18, 1877 – The ground for the Logan Temple was dedicated. Apostle Orson Pratt offered the dedicatory prayer.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *