Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History Sep 22-30

Posted by on Sep 28, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

September 22, 1827 – Joseph Smith obtained the gold plates from Moroni at the Hill Cumorah (see JS-H 1: 59).

Sept 25, 1842 – The Prophet Joseph spoke in the Grove in Nauvoo for “more than two hours, chiefly on the subject of persecution.”

Sept 25, 1928 – The first institute building in the church, adjacent to the University of Idaho campus in Moscow, Idaho, is dedicated by Pres. Charles W. Nibley of the First Presidency.  The program had started a year earlier with fifty-seven students being taught by J. Wyley Sessions.

Sept 26, 1955 – The Church College of Hawaii, now Brigham Young University – Hawaii, commenced its first day of classes with 153 students and 20 faculty/administrators in war surplus buildings moved to the Laie site.  Dr. Reuben D. Law became the first president of CCH.

Sept 26, 1963 – U.S. Pres. John F. Kennedy speaks in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah, while visiting the state just two months before he was assassinated.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *