Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History April 21-30

Posted by on Apr 24, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

April 24, 1834 – On this and the following six days the mob burned about one hundred and fifty houses belonging to the Saints in Jackson County, Missouri. April 26, 1839 – Early in the morning a conference was held on the Temple site at Far West, Mo., in fulfillment of the revelation given July 8, 1838. Among those present were Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, John E. Page and John Taylor, who ordained Wilford Woodruff and George A. Smith Apostles, “to fill the places of those who had fallen.” Alpheus Cutler, the master-workman of the Temple, then commenced laying its foundation, in accordance with revelation, by rolling up a large stone near the southeast corner. April 21, 1840 – The Postmaster General at Washington, D.C., changed the name of the postoffice at Commerce, Hancock Co., Ill., to Nauvoo, and appointed George W. Robinson postmaster. April 21, 1841 – Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, Geo. A. Smith and Willard Richards sailed from Liverpool, England, on the ship Rochester, accompanied by 130 Saints. They arrived at New York May 20th. April 30, 1846 – The Nauvoo Temple was dedicated privately, Elder Joseph Young offering the dedicatory prayer. April 29, 1852 – The Deseret Iron Company was organized at Liverpool, England, and Erastus Snow and Franklin D. Richards were appointed general agents and managers of the same. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More

LDS Site of the Week – ORSON HYDE MEMORIAL GARDEN, JERUSALEM

Posted by on Apr 15, 2011 in Site of the Week - LDS Church History Tour | 0 comments

On April 15, 1840, Apostle Orson Hyde left Commerce, Ill., on his mission to Jerusalem.  This week’s site is dedicated to him and his mission there.  ORSON HYDE MEMORIAL PARK/GARDEN Located on the Mt of Olives, just below the BYU Center.  On October 24, 1979, President Spencer W. Kimball and 2000 other Church officials and members gathered here to dedicate the Orson Hyde Memorial Garden, a 5.5 acre park developed with a $1 million gift from the Orson Hyde Foundation, headed by Apostle LeGrand Richards.  The Garden was one of the largest and most prestigious parts of the Jerusalem National Park, a greenbelt of small parks and landscaped gardens around the Old City.  It features a 150-seat stone amphitheater near the top of the Garden and on the north side of the amphitheater a bronze plaque was placed with excerpts of Elder Hyde’s prayer in English and Hebrew.  The plaque has since been removed due to vandalism most likely caused by hurt feelings over misunderstandings from things said in the prayer.  The wall that held the plaque now has an obvious empty space where the plaque was encased.  Olive trees and other indigenous vegetation are growing throughout the park and a stone path winds back and forth in a gradual descent to the lower slope of the Mount of Olives and the Garden of Gethsemane. DWB p....

Read More

Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History April 14-20

Posted by on Apr 15, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

April 18, 1830 – Late in April the Prophet Joseph visited Joseph Knight, at Colesville, Broome Co., N. Y., where, under the Prophet’s administration, the first miracle was wrought in this dispensation. April 20, 1838 – Apostles Heber C. Kimball and Orson Hyde sailed from Liverpool, England, for America on the ship Garrick. They arrived in New York May 12th, and at Kirtland, O., May 22nd. April 14, 1840 – At a council of the Apostles held at Preston, England, Willard Richards was ordained one of the Twelve Apostles. April 15, 1840 – Apostle Orson Hyde left Commerce, Ill., on his mission to Jerusalem. Apriil 17, 1840 – The first British patriarch was ordained, P. Melling. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More

Glimpse of the Past – LDS Church History April 7-13

Posted by on Apr 15, 2011 in Glimpse of the Past - LDS Church History | 0 comments

April 7, 1829 – Joseph Smith, jun., resumed the translation of the Book of Mormon, assisted by Oliver Cowdery as scribe, at Harmony.  Oliver Cowdery was called by revelation to assist Joseph Smith, jun., in his labors and stand by him in his difficulties. Oliver was also promised the gift of translating like Joseph, if he desired it. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 6.) April 7, 1829 -The Lord revealed to Joseph Smith, jun., that John, the beloved Disciple, was given power over death, that he might live and bring souls to Christ and to prophesy before nations, kindreds, tongues and people until the coming of Christ in his glory. (Doc. and Cov., Sec. 7.) April 11, 1830 – Oliver Cowdery preached the first public discourse delivered by any of the Elders in this dispensation. The meeting was held in the house of Peter Whitmer, sen., at Fayette. Hiram Page, Catherine Page, Christian Whitmer, Annie Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer and Elizabeth Whitmer were baptized by Oliver Cowdery, in Seneca lake. April 7, 1837 – The city plat of Far West, Caldwell County, Mo., having been surveyed, the sale of town lots was left to Wm. W. Phelps, John Whitmer and Edward Partridge. Jacob Whitmer, Elisha H. Groves and Geo. M. Hinkle were appointed a building committee for the erection of a house of the Lord at Far West. Taken from Andrew Jenson’s:  Church...

Read More

175th Anniversary of Kirtland Temple

Posted by on Apr 5, 2011 in Site of the Week - LDS Church History Tour | 0 comments

A special commemoration was held at the Kirtland Temple in honor of the 175th Anniversary of its dedication.  This special event was highlighted in the Church News.  In attendance was Karl Ricks Anderson, also known as “Mr. Kirtland”.  Karl’s incredible knowledge of the area’s spiritual history as well as the important role he has played in the restoration of Kirtland’s Church historical sites has certainly earned him this title.  He is featured in the picture at left. When the Prophet Joseph Smith dedicated the Kirtland Temple 175 years ago, he described the experience as a great spiritual outpouring: “…a noise was heard like the sound of a rushing mighty wind, which filled the Temple, and all the congregation simultaneously arose, being moved upon by an invisible power; many began to speak in tongues and prophesy; others saw glorious visions; and I beheld the Temple was filled with angels…The people of the neighborhood came running together…seeing a bright light like a pillar of fire resting upon the Temple, and were astonished at what was taking place.” Now 175 years later, Karl Anderson and other LDS Church Leaders helped many members who attended the special commemoration to leave the temple expressing that they had experienced “a small glimpse of the great spiritual outpouring witnessed at the dedication 175 years ago.” You could spend eight inspiring days with Karl Ricks Anderson on his Sharon to Kirtland Tour as he uniquely shares uplifting insights and information about these incredible sites, the prophet Joseph Smith, and the faithful Saints who joined with the Church.   Visit our Sharon to Kirtland tour web page for more details. For the full Church News story visit:  ...

Read More